Size: 244 acres
Year Protected: 2013
Land Protection Strategy: TBD
Conservation Values: Historical and archaeological sites, recreational area, marine life preserve, open space
Land Features: Coastline
$20,000,000 has been raised to purchase Honolua Bay-Lipoa Point. The bill went through the State Legislature and has been approved by conference committee…..for the FULL PURCHASE PRICE. Save Honolua Coalition, Surfrider Foundation, ‘Aha Moku o Ka‘anapali, and the County of Maui are all to be credited for the preservation of the special wahi pana.
The Honolua land and bay is rich with marine life and unique rare coral species, heiau, house platforms, and agricultural terraces.
In 1976, the Hokule‘a voyaging canoe departed from this bay which set it on its path to the present day in which it is on its world tour voyage. This bay is also popular for surfing.
Many thanks to legislators Angus McKelvey and Roz Baker who also played important roles.
We look forward to working with our partners on building a management plan and funding future protection activities on the property. A community-based Management Plan is in development by the State of Hawaii. If you are interested in participating in the planning discussions, contact Scott Fisher, HILT Associate Executive Director of Conservation at email@example.com.
An Iconic landscape is being protected through the rallying support of the community!
- A Bill For An Act Relating to the Acquisition of Resource Value Lands, 2013
- Wendy Osher, Maui Now, State to Announce Preservation of Historic Lipoa Point, 10/9/14
- Wendy Osher, Maui Now, $19.5M Released to Protect Lipoa Point From Development, 6/23/14
- Wendy Osher, Maui Now, Video: Law Signed For Lipoa Point Acquisition, 6/28/13
- Save Honolua Coalition Website
- Chris Hamilton, Star Advertiser, Maui Mayor Pushed on Honolua Preservation, 11/16/08